Streaming Videos by Alexander Street Frequently Asked Questions
You can access streaming videos from the SMCL website. You will need to log in to your library account, by entering your library card number and pin, in order to access this service outside of the library. The Alexander Street collections include: PBS Video Collection and World Newsreels Online.
You will need the following to optimally view streaming videos:
- Windows: Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0 or higher, Firefox 3.0 or higher, and Google Chrome 1.0 or higher
- Mac OS X: Safari 1.0 or higher, Firefox 3.0 or higher, and Google Chrome 1.0 or higher
- Audio and video resources are accessible with Adobe Flash Player 9 or higher.
- Users in older versions of Internet Explorer (Internet Explorer 8 and earlier) and Firefox (Firefox 12 and earlier) may experience display issues on the new site.
The eVideos powered by Alexander Street can be viewed in several ways.
- Full-screen mode - The square in the upper-right hand corner of the video will launch the full-screen video player. You may at any time escape full-screen mode by hitting escape or clicking the box in the upper-right.
- Standard-screen mode - A full-featured toolbar that sits below the video allows you to manipulate the video in a number of ways. You can play/pause, rewind/fast-forward, jump back 30 seconds and change the volume via the buttons in the bottom left.
- Drop-down windows - Immediately to the right of the video window are a set of drop-down windows providing further information.
- Details - This section reveals an abstract and as much bibliographic information as is available about this title. Select terms within the details are highlighted. Clicking these will take you to the browse page associated with this term.
Visit Alexander Street for more detailed information.
Yes, eBooks are exact reproductions of the print versions, including all illustrations.