Career Online High School at SMCL
Do you know an adult (age 19+) who wants to get their high school diploma? Learn more about this exciting new program at San Mateo County Libraries!
San Mateo County Libraries’ Career Online High School (COHS) offers adults the opportunity to earn an accredited high school diploma and a career certificate. According to the US Census Bureau, overall, high school diploma holders earned approximately $4,700 in mean monthly earnings compared with GED certificate holders, who earned $3,100.
The Library is offering a limited number of free enrollments to qualified adult learners. Applicants should:
- Be over 19 years old
- Reside in San Mateo County
- Have a library card (starting with 29041) in good standing
- Have a working email address
- Must have intermediate level English language skills
- Have basic computer and Internet skills
- Be willing to dedicate 8-10 hours a week to coursework
Program Quick Facts
- Requires 18 credits total (see Graduation Requirements).
- You may transfer previous credits from accredited high school courses, shortening the completion time from 18 months to as little as 5 months for some students.
- Earn both your high school diploma and a career certificate in one of eight high-growth fields.
- Courses are taught in an online learning environment available to you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you have questions about computer and Internet access to complete coursework, please review our Frequently Asked Questions or email us.
- Students are paired with an academic coach who provides the student with ongoing guidance and the resources needed to master the courses. The coaches are available via phone or email.
Ready to Get Started?
- Begin by taking the online Self-Assessment to see if Career Online High School is a good match for you.
- The Library will contact all eligible applicants (within 5 business days) to enroll in a Prerequisite career course. Check your email for instructions. Check your junk mail, too. After you enroll, you must complete this Prerequisite course within 2 weeks.
- Once you successfully complete the Prerequisite course we will contact you to schedule an interview at the Library. Interviews and scholarships will be offered on a first-come, first-qualified basis. Enrollment is limited and we expect a high demand. You may be placed on a wait-list until additional scholarships become available.
Please email us with any questions you have and our enrollment team will contact you.
Career Online High School is made possible with support from the California State Library.